RSS

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The search for tasty Pan Mee

Every one of us have our own favourite spots for Pan Mee (pronounced Parn-Mee). Pan Mee are homemade flat noodles using a dough made with flour and water and a little oil. The dough is then kneaded till the gluten / starch is developed so that you get the chewy texture. There are several ways you can enjoy this local dish - Thin strand, thick strand or hand torn pieces in Soup, Dry or Dry with dried chilli paste.


Today, Bunny will take you through 2 places of pan mien, both of which are not really my favourite choice. I have yet to find a chewy soup version of Pan Mee since my TTDI shop closed down.

First one is a hidden gem located off Taman Sri Manja in a little surburb called Taman Seri Sentosa. This little stall under a few big trees is popular amongst the Chinese residences in the apartments nearby. The type of Pan Mee served here is Mushroom and Minced Meat.


The stall which is runned by a family of 3 - Mum cooks, Father prepares the rolling and assembly of noodles and Son who prepares the drinks.

The noodles is something different but It's just not too much to my liking as I found the mushroom minced meat sauce a little too bland and the noodles not chewy enough.



I love their chilli sauce and fried ikan bilis here. Their chilli sauce does pack a hefty oomphh of spiciness. A meal for 2 (1 Big and 1 Small) plus 2 iced herbal tea cost around RM12.00.

Next up, we tried Chilli Pan Mee Shop in Kota Damansara. Over here, I like the texture of the noodles but I don't like the soup base as they didn't use the traditional anchovies / ikan bilis to boil the soup and the overall deco of the shop didn't quite gel with me as it was too modern.

The Menu



My friend and I had the dry version which came with a poached egg to make the noodle taste smoother and richer. I enjoyed the texture of the chewy noodles mixed with the dry chilli paste.



My Hunny had the Curry Pan Mee which he wasn't too satisfied with. It looks good but taste only so-so.



We also ordered a side order of soup dumplings which also turn out to be a disappointment as the minced meat filling was too mushy.


The bill came up to RM35++ for the 3 of us. This is one place whereby I won;t be coming to anymore. Simply too pricey!

No comments:

Post a Comment